Updated: May 4
1 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion diced
2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped
800gm-1kg chuck steak chopped into 2cm chunks
3 tbsp wholemeal flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups (500ml) beef stock
3 carrots- 1 diced, 2 chopped chunky
1 celery Sticks diced
3/4 cup of Baby peas
1 cup of red wine
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Tiny sprinkle of dried Tyme (or a spring of tyme)
2 bay leaves
1-2 tbs gravox gravy mixed as a Paste to add at the end to thicken the sauce
Tapioca (might be needed to thicken also)
1 egg lightly whisked or milk
puff pastry or filo pastry
1. Sprinkle beef with salt & pepper.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large heavy based pot. Add half the beef and brown all over, then remove and repeat with remaining beef. Set beef aside.
3.Turn stove down to medium low. If the pot is looking dry, add more oil. Add onion and garlic, cook for 2 minutes. Add finely chopped carrots and celery, cook for 6 minutes or until softened and sweet (taste test!). Add carrot chunks and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add flour and stir through.
5. Add beef stock, wine and stir to dissolve the flour.
6. Add thyme, bay leaves, and cooked beef. Turn heat up slightly, mix, bring to simmer, then cover.
7. Add to the slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours.
8. Once meat is tender, add gravy paste and mix in to make it thicker & creamier. If the sauce doesn’t thicken you can add tapioca flour to thicken. Add baby peas and stir.
9. Place pastry in the pie dish fill with pie mixture then seal with another piece of pastry on top. Either brush with egg wash or a little milk. Add a few slits to the pastry to allow air in.
10. Cook until golden and crispy roughly 20-30 minutes on 180-200 degrees. Serve with mash potato & steamed greens.
I hope you’re family enjoys it as much as we do.